Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Claire Fried Rice Experiment

Dinner
All through choir I was mentally drafting recipes for dinner. I ran out of lettuce at lunch time so I had to come up something else! I ended up using the sweet potato my mom gave me from home. I peeled it, sliced it, and mixed it with
  • drizzle of olive oil
  • salt
  • pepper
  • garlic powder
Simple as that! Sweet potatoes have so much flavor on their own, all you have to do is cook them how you like them!
I set the oven at 350 and baked the pieces on this tray with tin foil for twenty minutes.
While the sweet potatoes cooked I made up a little recipe of my own! All I used was
  • 2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1/4 cup chopped white onion
  • 1/2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 cup brown rice
  • 1 cup sugar snap peas
First I put the olive oil in a hot pan and tossed in the chopped onion.Next,I added the rice and fried it a little.
While the rice cooked I put the peas in the steamer!
I added the vegetable broth to the rice, covered the pan and set the timer for 20 minutes.
After about 6-8 minutes (I lost track!) the peas turned bright green! I removed them from the steam and set them aside.
The rice ended up needing another 10 or 15 minutes before it was totally cooked. I chopped up the steamed peas and added them to the rice.
It came out really well! The sweet potatoes came out nice and soft and the rice had a lot of flavor. Woohoo!
I used the rest of the hummus from lunch for a little dipping action and a drank a little almond milk with dinner.

Dessert
For dessert I had one mug of raisin bran crunch! One!
Now I'm relaxing in front of the TV watching some of my favorite shows... you know, addiction and crime documentaries lol.
I'm going to bed early tonight! See you in the AM!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too bad i will never make and appearance on this blog unless you stop being vegan and become a cannibal.
But anyways, i loved watching you cook this. especially when you would walk over and stir the rice or open the fridge.