Monday, April 12, 2010

The Urban Revitalizer Begins!

Cleanse!
Guess what everyone: I'm doing a cleanse!! I am using "Super Cleanse" by Adina Niemerow as my guide and I'm doing a five day cleanse called "The Urban Revitalizer". It's supposed to be particularly good for stress. It was a no brainer! Here is the meal by meal break down of my cleanse:

On waking: Hot Lemon Water
Breakfast: Coffee-Break Green Healer Juice
Snack: Coffee-Break Green Healer Juice
Lunch: Soup of my choice (I'm also supposed to have a shot of wheatgrass but I haven't been. I should look into it!)
Snack: Rush-Hour Coconut Shake
Dinner: Soup of my choice

I had the bright idea last night that because there's so much juicing and blending to do for the cleanse that I should make bags with exactly what I need ahead of time. It's all about making it convenient for myself!
Breakfast
Here's my morning Hot Lemon Water. It's a tablespoon of lemon juice, hot water, and a small shake of cayenne pepper. Not the tastiest thing in the world but it's growing on me and the warm liquid is comforting and filling.
For 'breakfast' I juiced celery, ginger, a cucumber, and a beet. I also added some lemon juice. (I forgot to all the collard greens! Shoot!)
Beet juice is intense! I was tying to catch a drop falling but my camera isn't savvy enough.
The finished product!
Later on, I came home after class and got to work. It takes a ridiculous amount of limes to make a substantial amount of lime juice sheesh! I decided to juice some lemons and all of the limes in advance so I won't have to deal with it again for a while.
Lemon and lime juice in convenient little jars.

Lunch
For lunch I decided to make the "Metro Mex Avocado Soup". I had to alter it a bit so I will just include what I used here:
  • 4 medium tomatoes, diced
  • 1 cup cilantro, finely chopped
  • 2 medium radishes, chopped
  • 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
  • 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
  • 1/4 tsp. Celtic sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp. minced garlic
  • 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp. lemon juice
  • 1/4 tsp. cumin
  • dash of Cholula hot sauce
First I blended the tomatoes and radishes. That was a lot of tomatoes!
Next the cup of cilantro. I am crazy about this herb!
The book suggests Himalayan or Celtic sea salt. I couldn't find Himalayan so I went for Celtic. Looking back I wish I'd gotten some that was more finely ground but the price difference was dramatic and I'm only using this for a 5 day period. I can make it work!
I put it all in the blender for a whirl!
Cholula is my all time favorite hot sauce!
Not to shabby, huh? I blended it till it was smooth since there were a lot of different things going on in there.
It was sort of like a moose, thick but light. It was pretty tasty too!

Snack
For my "Rush-Hour Coconut Shake" I had to do a little battle with this young coconut. You're supposed to cut off all the outer skin till you reach the brown exterior and cut at a 45 degree angle then pop the top of like the lid of a can... yeah not so much! I ended up whacking the outside with garlic press like it was a hammer just so I could get my knife in.
Eventually I was successful!
I blended all the coconut water and 4 Tbsp. of the meat in the blender till it was smooth and voila: my shake! I made another batch of lemon water and headed to choir.
This was actually really delicious and is quickly become my snack/dessert that I look forward to very much! It's so coconutty and refreshing!

Dinner
For dinner I decided to make the 'Cream-of-Commuting Carrot Soup'. I used:
  • 1 cup carrot juice
  • 1/2 cup cucumber juice
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 1/2 cup sprouts
  • 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
  • 2 tsp. fresh ginger
  • 1/2 cup purified water
  • 1 tsp. lime juice
It was a very liquidy soup and could easily be drunk if I was on the go.
Dessert was the rest of my coconut shake.
So far so good! I am feeling a little hungry but for the most part, I am excited to detox and put good things in my body. I feel like I'm making a blank slate for myself! ...I did dream (literally) about making waffles for breakfast... that should pass though haha!
Update on Day Two coming soon!

No comments: