Monday, April 26, 2010

Recap on Going Raw

Recap on Going Raw
The raw food diet is officially over and I feel great! (By the way, I am writing this two days behind so forgive the mix up of tenses!) I really enjoyed the raw diet and I think Kelsey and I did a particularly good job at preparing actual meals rather than copping out and just having a bunch of raw produce. Props to those of you out there who are raw every day; it takes so much preparation and creativity. I enjoyed cooking and preparing food but I disliked how few options there were when I went out to eat. I hope to incorporate some of the things I learned and ate on the raw diet into my normal eating but I enjoy cooked foods too! After doing the intense Urban Revitalizer Cleanse and then going raw for a week, I am really noticing some physical and mental changes:
  • I feel in control of portion control! The stringent cleanse and the caloric density of the raw food forced me to portion out and prioritize my food. I am motivated to adopt this mindset in my regular diet because I know I can do it.
  • I am at a more comfortable weight and it feels totally maintainable.
  • I am more motivated to maintain the good I've done by exercising compared to the way I felt before the cleanse.
  • There are foods I can live without! For instance, I've gone two weeks without eating a slice of bread or a spoonful of granola, two of my normal vices. It feels good to be free of them and I know that when I have them they will be treats to savor.
  • I am so much more wary of added, refined oils and sugar. My eyes were opened to the density of oils and I am doing my best from here on out to avoid going over board when cooking. If I can help it, I'd rather consume sugar in more natural forms like dates, agave, maple, and honey. Also, I really like salty intense flavors and I used to put lots of salt on everything! Now, I am training my taste buds to be happy with less.
  • Along with trying to cut back on salt, I am also back on track with drinking more water!
  • I learned that if I write down or even just mentally plan what's coming up for my next meal rather than eating whatever I find in the kitchen, it helps me keep my head on straight when I get hungry.
So many good things came out of this experience, the list could go on and on but I will keep it to those most important changes. Please feel free to ask me any questions at all about the cleanse, going raw, the changes, what I'm up to now, or anything else! I'm here!

One of my favorite readers comment on my last post:
Anonymous muffin said...

What's next?

April 27, 2010 7:08 AM

Well, I'll tell you! I'm back on cooked foods but with a few twists. Hopefully you will start to notice
  • smaller, more fruit oriented breakfasts
  • more veggie packed lunches
  • more whole grains as opposed to flour
  • less oil in my cooking
  • more attention to calories and portion size
  • more exercise
  • and as always, delicious food!
Help keep me on track with my new goals and let me know what you're doing to stay healthy! It's not easy to do it alone and I really am interested in what works for you!

Everyone Notice: I now have a Recipe tab that actually has recipes! I also added a Contact tab in case, for some reason, you are unable to comment directly on the blog or want to communicate a personal message.

Breakfast
Finally, on to Sunday's breakfast! My first day being back on regular food I was delighted to discover that my soy yogurt was still good and so was the banana bread! I came up with this mess:
  • 1/2 cup vanilla soy yogurt
  • 2 Tbsp. of Kelsey's flaxseed coconut banana raw pancake mix
  • 1 small banana
  • 1 small slice of banana bread, in small pieces
  • 1 Tbsp. pumpkin seeds
I also had some peppermint tea. The rawness couldn't have ended at a better time. My throat was starting to feel funny and I really needed that mug of hot tea. I also took my Cleanse tablets and my Women's One a Day.

Before the matinee showing of the opera I headed to the laundromat to take care of some much needed laundry. Luckily for me, the smaller farmer's market was going on right across the street. Restock time!

Snack
I couldn't believe it but I forgot my camera. Otherwise I would have documented the whole thing. Sorry! At least my iPhone takes decent pictures. I bought this almond butter (I couldn't resist) and I was dying to have some.
While I waited on my laundry to finish I chopped up one of the organic Fujis I bought and enjoyed it with my almond butter. The apples are so sweet! You really can tell a difference when they're organic and an even bigger difference when they're not commercially produced. These are a bit smaller and not as 'beautiful' but man do they make up for it in flavor.
I also bought oranges at the market and later backstage I enjoyed a big juicy one! I hate eating oranges that are dried out and flavorless. This one was opposite on both counts.
I also snacked on this trail mix since I didn't really have time for a substantial lunch. I grabbed these on my way out before rushing to my 2 o'clock call. There's three servings in one package so I poured it all out on a napkin and started with what I thought was one serving.
In between acts I tried to get a little work done on my paper. I refueled with this Cinamon Roll Lärabar.
There's just something about cinnamon that I love! It's definitely one of my favorite flavors.
Serving number two of the Cashew, Almond, Raisin trail mix.
After the show there was a cast party at The Elephant Bar. There was an assortment of food: chips and salsa, shrimp spring rolls, creamy spinach dip, fried shrimp, chicken, and cheesey garlic bread.
Naturally I stuck to the veggies and salsa :)
A few people ordered Mai Tais and gave me their decorative pineapple. yum!
I ate the cherry too haha.
I wasn't feeling well and made my appearance at the party brief. I think I have a sinus infection or something. Maybe a combination of allergies? Who knows. As long as I am better by this Sunday for my recital!

Dinner
I came home and got to work making a plate of Claire food! I have been on a real beet kick lately. They're so flavorful. This completely made up concoction included:
  • approx 1 cup snow peas
  • 1 beet, skinned boiled and chopped
  • 1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 tsp. garlic
  • 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1/2 Tbsp. nama shoyu
My salad included
  • 1 1/2 cup chopped red cabbage
  • 3 small tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup sliced cucumber
  • Tahini Dressing that I made a while ago
A whooooole lota veggies!

Dessert
For dessert I enjoyed a slice of banana bread that I heated in the microwave (which I haven't used in two weeks haha) and some fresh strawberries.

It was an exhausting weekend! I am planning on going to bed super early every night this week and doing everything I can to make myself healthy again. I'll be all caught up soon I promise!

3 comments:

muffin said...

Really interesting reflections on the past two weeks of challenging food combinations. Sounds like you learned a lot and had some definite effects from the choices you made. Impressive!

muffin said...

Just wondering, what is "nama shoyu?"

Claire said...

Thank you! I really am glad I did it, so many good things came out of all that craziness.

Nama shoyu is raw, unfiltered soy sauce.