Monday, May 10, 2010

Much Needed Post Recital Relaxation

Breakfast
Morning after the recital I met my parents bright and early for breakfast at the hotel again. I learned my lesson this time and ordered more than just the oatmeal. I started with a mug of herbal tea, a glass of water, and a bowl of oats topped with raisin bran cereal and banana.
Obviously I had to add some peanut butter!
I had a small portion of hash browns with salt, pepper, and hot sauce.
And a slice of whole wheat toast, half with peanut butter
and the other half with marmalade. I love marmalade!

Lunch
I said bye to my parents and went right back to bed. For lunch I made a simple salad of leftover rice and kidney beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, and onion. And a berry smoothie on the side.
Savannah and I decided that we earned ourselves a lazy bum day and decided to just relax! We went to Java Jones for a some soy hazelnut lattes.
Then we walked to the beach. It was so beautiful out!
A mini photo shoot is standard.
We came home and had some of the amazing oatmeal walnut chocolate chip cookies that I made.

Dinner
After choir I came home and attempted to make a stir fry peanut sauce veggie thing and it was pretty much a failure. They can't all be winners!
It was made up for in full by some soy milk and cookie!
Well let's be honest, a cookie...or two!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what's the recipe for the oatmeal walnut chocolate chip cookies?

Claire said...

The recipe actually comes from the inside lid of Quaker Oatmeal, I just swapped out a few things to make it vegan. Here it is:

1 cup vegan butter
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar (I use evaporated cane juice)
2 'eggs' (EnerG egg replacer for two eggs)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups oats
1 cup mix ins (raisins, chocolate chips, walnuts each. all optional)

I use an ice cream scooper to make even sized balls. Be sure to flatten them out a bit so they cook evenly but note that they do spread slightly on their own as well. Bake for 9-12 minutes at 350F.

My little trick is to cook them in the oven for about 10 minutes or until golden brown but still on the lighter side. I let them sit on the tray for five minutes and then move them to a cooling rack. This lets them continue to cook a little on the tray but keeps them nice and soft. I like my cookies soft!

I will add this to the recipes tab on the blog as well. Thanks for asking and I hope you enjoy!