Monday, May 24, 2010

Double Breakfast

Making breakfast this morning I realized that somehow I completely forgot to post yesterday's breakfast! What the heck?! So that's why this is going to be a double breakfast post.

Breakfast (Sunday)
After completing Jillian's 30 Day Shred for Day 6 I simmered down and made myself a hot cup of java. I've been doing half-caff which is half full caffeine coffee half decaf. It's just the right amount of caffeine for me in the morning and the decaf stuff I have is hazelnut creme flavor. Incentive much? I used a little soy creamer and sweetened with stevia.

Breakfast
All through the workout I was fantasizing about having an oatmeal pancake for breakfast so I researched the recipes I could find online while sipping on my hazelnutty coffee. What I ended up making was a creation all of my own invention.
  • 1 mashed banana
  • 1/3 cup oats
  • 1/3 cup cornmeal
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • splash vanilla extract
  • shake cinnamon
  • 1 tsp milled flax seed
  • 1/4 cup water
Can you tell this is a disaster waiting to happen? I scattered frozen blueberries over the massive pancake while it cooked which made it smell totally delicious and fruity.
It came out pretty good considering I had to use two spatulas to flip this bad boy. Next time I should just make three small ones.
I smeared that sucker with peanut butter and drizzled it with maple syrup.

Workout
This morning I was super tired but I forced myself to get up and do Jillian's 30 Day Shred anyways. Today was Day 7 and after only doing this 20 minute workout for seven days I can really feel the difference. My arms feel much stronger (and Savannah told me she could see my muscles more!). I can feel the muscles in my legs getting stronger and I am a little bit sore everyday but in the good workout kind of way. I am excited about sticking to this video because I think I will really see some changes.

Breakfast, Today!
Now on to today's breakfast! I rehydrated with a glass of water and made myself a very hazelnutty iced coffee. I used mostly unsweetened soy milk but also added a splash of hazelnut creamer and a little stevia. For the oats I went out on a limb and made Butternut Squash Oats!
The ingredients included:
  • 1/2 cup frozen butternut squash
  • 1/2 cup soy milk
  • 1 banana, sliced
  • small handful raisins, about 1/8 cup
  • shake cinnamon
  • splash vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 tsp. chia seeds
  • 1 tsp. milled flaxseed
I started by putting only the frozen squash and the soy milk in the pot to cook the squash. Next I added the bananas, raisins, cinnamon, and vanilla. When the milk started to lightly boil and I added the rest of the ingredients and proceeded to make oatmeal as usual.
It turned out great! I topped it all with a scoop of peanut butter and a drizzle of maple syrup. This is such a great way to get some veggies in the morning.

Wow I just realized what time it is and I am definitely going to be late for class. Gotta run!

No comments: