Thursday, January 28, 2010

Voice Lesson Day, Beating the Afternoon Slump

Guten Morgen alles! Ich habe gut geschlaft aber habe ich noch Allergie!

Just kidding! I'll try to avoid posting in German for now haha. What I said was: Good morning everyone! I slept well but I still have allergies! I decided to add Flonase to the picture so hopefully I'll start feeling better soon. Also, I know that I can trick myself into feeling good (despite allergies and ominous music history paper) if I dress cute and comfy.
This is my outfit today. Those shadows make me look sort of funny (that's my story and I'm sticking to it) but I wanted to show what a beautiful morning it is. I must have looked like such a weirdo balancing my camera on the end of a jeep and posing for 10 seconds waiting for the auto timer. I'm sure this little college town has seen weirder.
This shot is a tribute to my friend Denielle whose fashion blog Sassy Little Frassy had a post about vintage accessories. Though this ring is not vintage at all, when I decided to wear it today it made me think of her. She moved to L.A. last quarter and I miss her so much!

On to breakfast! Today I decided to make Apple Cinnamon Blueberry Oats. In the mix is:
  • 1/2 cup soy milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 large Fuji apple
  • 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
  • ~ 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/16 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 Tbsp. milled flax seed
  • 1 tsp light agave
  • 1 Tbsp. peanut butter
This is a step I thought I should make a special reminder of because it was Tina of Carrots 'N' Cake who reminded me! When making apple oats, it's important to let the apples cook in the liquid for a few minutes (I usually do 2-3) so that they get nice and soft.
Blueberries!! Obsessed.
Remember that guy I met while taking pictures of the music building? He told me that natural light is the best for food pictures so I brought my breakfast outside! I'm no photography buff and I know those shadows aren't so great but natural light really does the trick.
I measured out my peanut better this time to just one tablespoon because I think I was being a little too generous :/
The best vitamins ever!

Today is a voice lesson day which means I have an hour to work with my amazing voice teacher. On V.L. days I allow myself to only be concerned with that one thing until it's over (otherwise I know I would just get overwhelmed). Voice lessons only happen once a week and they are really important so I try to make them the focus of my day. As a third year I am required to have a junior recital at the end of spring quarter which is a formal performance consisting of 30 minutes of me!! Ahh! Right now I'm working on getting all of my music "off the page", or from memory, so we can start really getting into the musicality. I also have a little performance on Saturday so we'll probably run through the pieces again as a refresher.

After my voice lesson I really need to start getting serious about this paper. That's why I wore my Uggs today. Ugg is how I feel about my paper so I may as well be warm and toasty while I do it! All of the sources are given, it's only 4-5 pages, I have until Tuesday... totally do-able.

Lately I've been getting a bit of an afternoon slump which is really annoying. I'm such a morning person and before 12 I'm go go go. As soon as I slow down and sit in class it's like I can't focus and I can feel my energy sagging. Question of the day: Does afternoon energy sag happen to you? How to you get over the midday slump?

I'm going to pack some good snacks for myself that will hopefully help and I'm scheduled for a little coffee date on campus with my girls Savannah and Amanda! Perfect time for a caffeine boost.

No comments: